Thursday, March 26, 2015

Introduction

I haven't felt this nervous since the first day I stood in front of a class of middle school kids. Thoughts raced through my mind of why on Earth I had agreed to this insanity. Teaching, as life would have it, turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I've had a blast teaching such a diverse group of students. There are days that they are the only reason I want to come in to work. I've taught social studies, language arts, math, science. No matter what I teach though, my true love will always be writing.

My intention as an undergraduate was to become a famous author. I was enthusiastic about my fiction and poetry, but it was the sharing it with the world part that got me. I loved writing, but was always so afraid of letting others read my work. It was as if I was giving people a piece of my soul to chop away slowly. I didn't like the feeling of being bare in front of all to see. For that reason, I left the majority of my stories and unfinished novels on my dusty bookshelf and inside my cluttered hard drive.

It's been seven years since I graduated with my creative writing degree, and only now have I decided to publish the works that I loved so dearly in my teens. They were very important stories to me as I grew up into a young adult. I would often go back to them and read them, wondering what on Earth I was thinking when I wrote them. I always remembered how I felt when I wrote them though, which made me think that maybe others would feel the same way when they read them.

Click Here to Purchase
With my niece's support and the support of my family, I decided to compile my collection and publish them. I would have loved to have shopped the collection to a big publishing house, but that didn't have the immediacy that I was looking for. I wanted to have my collection in my hands as soon as I finished putting it together. For that reason, I decided to self-publish this collection.

That turned out to be WAY more difficult than I anticipated. Writing short stories is one thing. Designing
, formatting, and advertising are quite another. I have immense respect for the people that handle these things on a daily basis. They're geniuses. I did the cover design, interior formatting, and Oh! did I forget copy editing. More geniuses. I never realized how truly important all of these people are when it comes to publishing a book. They're just as important as the author if not more important because without them there is no book for the rest of us to read. Just a manuscript.

So it is my hope that my little book of short stories will serve to entertain you, if only for a while. Thank you for all of those who have supported me and encouraged me to continue.

I am currently working on a novel series that I believe is a great improvement from my work as a teenager. Let's hope that I can get that out to all of you soon.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment